Informal problem solving and conflict management for all Boise State Faculty
There may be certain matters you wish to explore “off the record” or need information or informal advice. Perhaps you are facing problems for which formal channels need to be invoked, but you are not sure how they work or what are the implications of using them. Or, there may be issues which, despite your best efforts, have not been satisfactorily addressed or resolved. The ombuds helps by:
- The ombuds actively seeks to understand your concerns.
Analyzing the problem
- The ombuds will assist you in identifying and clarifying your issues and interests.
Providing relevant information
- The ombuds is an information resource; he/she can help you find answers to your questions.
Explaining university policies and procedures
- The ombuds will help you find and understand policies and procedures related to your concern.
- The ombuds can help you, your colleagues, chairs or deans to find ways to communicate more effectively and work collaboratively.
- The ombuds helps parties identify new options and solutions that address their interests.
- The ombuds arranges for a third party mediator to help parties desiring to resolve a conflict through the mediation process.
- The ombuds makes recommendations to the appropriate bodies for changes in university policy or procedures to ensure clarity, fairness and justice.